Do you wait for your child to make low grades or fail or are you a proactive parent? Do you respond to your child’s academic progress or react when things go wrong? Most parents are busy working and making a living and find that it is tough to keep up with their child’s academic status, especially if they have more than one child.
If you have the time, patience, and knowledge to help your child academically, it can be a bonding experience, but many parents find it frustrating. Helping your child with homework can be like walking through a field of landmines. It is definitely not for the “faint of heart”!
If your child is simply having difficulty with a subject, a tutor may be your best bet. If you observe, however, that your child is capable of learning the material but not achieving, you may want to consider an academic coach.
A good academic coach should:
- Be a credentialed professional with a background in education
- Offer a complimentary initial consultation
- Be able to patiently work with students with ADD, ADHD, or learning disabilities
- Be able to access a child’s learning style
- Be familiar with the best study techniques for each learning style
- Communicate with both student and parent by providing written feedback on each coaching session
- Provide written action items after each session included in the feedback
- Make your child accountable for their action items
- Coach your child on how to optimize time management techniques to ensure success
- Address motivation and confidence issues
- Be able to coach parents on how to address their children’s academic needs
- Be able to refer you to other professionals to address needs beyond coaching
Kathleen Matchunis is a successful Coach in Coral Springs. She helps students find the best study techniques for their learning styles in addition to helping them get organized and motivated. She offers customized coaching to her clients which includes students with learning differences
- Discover Your Learning Style
- Learn How to Study
- Boost Your GPA
- Get Organized
- Get Motivated
- Educational Resources Provided
- Tutoring for all levels of Spanish, French, and English
- Parental Support Provided
Make sure that you meet the academic coach in person before beginning sessions. Check references from previous clients. Once your child knows how to study for his learning style, he will have the tools for academic success!
Why hire Coach Kathy? There are a lot of coaches out there. What makes her different? Coach Kathy has the dedication necessary to help kids and adults achieve their goals. After each session, she sends feedback to her clients and their parents via email, including a summary of the session and a list of action items which will lead her clients to their goals. Parents are kept abreast of their child’s progress and how they can encourage their academic and social growth